Sunday, January 3, 2010

January 3rd 2010

01-03-2010

This post is going to be different than the last few. I have some new goals and hopes for the new year that I need to document so I won’t forget them or let them go by the way side.

My home is not a happy place. It hasn’t been for a while now. That is not to say that we don’t have a good time and that my kids are not happy well adjusted children, they are. But, the overall feel of my home is not happy. I have come to the conclusion that this starts with myself, first a for most. I set the tone of the home. Overall I am a happy person, most days are good, but I am overwhelmed and tired and sometimes I just don’t deal with all that all that great and I lose it. I lose it more often than I should. I have a temper, and I wish that my kids didn’t know it. They do. I am hoping to change that this year. My word for the year is... I really want my home to be peaceful. I want us to be able to disagree without screaming about it and I want my kids to stop fighting so much and for us to just get along better and be able to feel peaceful in our home. So I have set some goals for myself to accomplish this and I am hopeful that this feeling of peace will happen in our home throughout the year.

1. No yelling! Period! If I slip and yell I will spend 10 undivided minutes with whoever I yelled at. This is not a punishment for me but it is really hard to find that time but I think that it is important to mend what I just broke by yelling and this seems like a reasonable way to do it.

2. Lower the volume in our home. This one will be hard because I will have to find ways to get others in our home to lower their volume. As for the TV and Music that will be fairly easy I think but the other more difficult.

3. Use our basement more. I really think this will help with the volume in our home. We have three floors even though we tend to only use the two above ground. The basement will be a good place to send the louder people who refuse to lower their volume. This isn’t a punishment since everything fun in our home is down there it will just help with the volume control.

The rest of my goals are ones that don’t directly relate to my word of the year but will help with the overall feel of our home which will indirectly help our home feel more peaceful.

4. Clean all the bathrooms every week. We will start there. I hope to be able to clean the whole house every week and for the most part all of it does get clean every week with the kids doing their chores and things like that but the bathrooms tend to get neglected, especially the upstairs ones, so I am hoping to be able to stay on top of that.

5. Do an act of service every week outside of the home. Let’s face it I need the blessings and I need to think about others (beside my family) way more often.

6. Spend less. I know, I know, I say this every year and so does everyone else but I really mean it, OK!

7. Read my scriptures more and make sure I have read the Gospel Doctrine and Relief Society lessons every week. Since I won’t be going to those two classes because I am in the nursery at church hopefully I will be able to brush up on my knowledge of the Gospel by myself.

8. Buy one book shelf or menial piece of furniture every month. This one is fun! Some months I am sure I will not be able to afford something big but at least I can buy something that will help organize our home. We need so many things but buying them all at once is unrealistic.

That’s it. They seem lofty and quite overwhelming at the moment which I am sure is not good and will lead to failure but I am at least whole heartedly determined to make my home more peaceful. I know I can do this with the Lord’s help.
I will be continuing with my topic questions for the year but I think I will be adding and subtracting some. Stay tuned for next week to see what they will be. (I am sure you all waiting with baited breath)

3 comments:

Migillicutty said...

Good Luck


(i have no punctuation at the end, so you can chose to insert either a ! or a . wichever you think is more optimistic (see how thoughtful I am!))

Unknown said...

Melanie I LOVED this post!

It inspired me so much, I am actually doing a similar thing, with the 10 minute thing and all. I've already been bad about it but at least now I'm recognizing the problem and trying to change.

I also love the bathrooms a week thing, and reading the lessons. (Things I try to do anyways but if you make a measurable goal they actually get done)

I wasn't going to do resolutions this year because I was like, "I'm already trying hard enough and falling short at that" but your post inspired me. I can just make small goals at the things I am trying to do and then feel a sense of accomplishment when they are met.

Thank you!

Cj Lehi said...

Very nice, Mel. Nothing makes life go smoother than peace. Most of us, I think, get a bit confused about what's going on, as if the things we expect to happen are really going to. If you ask us if we sincerely expect our plans to all come through without emendation or alteration, we'll say "of course not", but the moment something goes differently than we imagine it should, the volcano erupts.

It's silly, but we all do it.

You work on that peace thing, and I'll work on doing all things with cheerfulness, and we'll report back and see how we're doing.

Don't forget to celebrate when you catch yourself NOT exploding. That's important.